Procedures for Reporting Allegations of Bullying
Bay City ISD
The district prohibits bullying on school property, at school-sponsored or school-related activities, or in any vehicle operated by the district. Bullying may be verbal or written expression or expression through electronic means, or physical conduct. Bullying is not tolerated by the district and any student or parent of a student who believes that the student or another student has experienced bullying or that a student has engaged in bullying is encouraged to immediately report the incident. Retaliation against anyone involved in the complaint process is a violation of district policy and is prohibited.
Students or parents may report an alleged incident of bullying, orally or in writing, to a teacher, counselor, principal or other district employee. Students or parents may contact the district to obtain an incident report form that may be used to submit the complaint.
Please note that after submission of the complaint to the district employee, the district may assign the complaint to a campus administrator to follow up on the submitted complaint and any other important matters pertaining to the complaint. We encourage you to communicate with your designated campus administrator during this time.
More information about the district's bullying policy can be found at our board policy online or the campus administration office.
Bay City Independent School District
Campus Procedures For Bullying, Harassment, or Intimidation
Updated Feb. 2018
Upon allegations of a bullying, harassment, or intimidation incident, please follow the steps below:
1. Students/Parent/Staff members will complete a Bullying, Harassment, or Intimidation Reporting Form and turn in to a teacher, counselor, principal, or other District employee.
2. The BHIR Form will be immediately submitted to the campus principal or designee.
3. The principal or designee will investigate complaints by completing the Bully, Harassment, or Intimidation Incident School Investigation Form. The completing of this form requires meeting with the parties involved in the incident.
4. The principal or designee shall determine whether the allegations in the report, if proven, would constitute prohibited conduct as defined by policy FFH, and if so proceed under that policy instead.
5. The campus principal or designee shall promptly take interim action calculated to prevent bullying during the course of an investigation, if appropriate.
6. The investigation should be completed within 10 District business days from the date of the report, however, the campus principal or designee shall take additional time if necessary to complete a thorough investigation.
7. The campus principal or designee shall prepare a written report of the investigation, including a determination of whether bullying occurred, and send a copy to the Superintendent or designee.
8. If an incident of bullying is confirmed, the principal or designee shall promptly notify the parents of the victim and of the student who engaged in bullying.
9. If an incident of bullying is confirmed and involves a student with a disability, the Director of Special Education needs to be notified and an IEP Meeting/ARD should convene on the campus.
10. If an incident of bullying is confirmed and involves a student Under Section 504, the campus' 504 coordinator should be informed and the campus' 504 team should convene.
11. Documentation of all BHI Reporting and Investigation Forms and follow-up actions will be retained in the principal’s office and a copy will be sent to the Superintendent.